Firefighter Internship Program
Interested in Becoming a Firefighter?
Please complete the Firefighter Internship Information Request Form
to receive more detailed information about the program.
Minimum Qualifications for Acceptance into the Firefighter Internship Program
- Complete Fire Technology (FT) 300 Fire Protection Organization (3 units), with a “C” or better, prior to applying for the Co-op Internship Program. This class provides an introduction to fire protection, career opportunities in fire protection and related fields, philosophy and history, and more.
- Complete EMT 100 and possess a current Sacramento County EMS EMT (or Paramedic) Certification Accreditation Card. Paramedics must also have a California State Paramedic License.
- Possess a current CPR for the Healthcare Provider Card (or the equivalent) the American Heart Association and maintain it during the entire FT498 Program.
- Posses a GED or a High School Diploma.
- Have a valid California Driver’s License.
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Have an Overall GPA of 2.5 or better.
- Possess the strength and stamina to pass a Physical Abilities Test and a Doctors Physical including a respiratory test.
- Consent to a qualifying DOJ, FBI background check.
- Consent to and pass a comprehensive drug screening.
- Be able to demonstrate prior work or leisure teamwork experience.
- Be able to purchase selected fire clothing and protective gear.
- Register in Fire Technology Work Experience 498 class and pay appropriate unit fee for every semester you participate in the internship. Enrollment is required.
- Participate in an interviewing workshop prior to your oral interview.
- If accepted into the program you must register (you will recieve an instructor permission number) in the Fire Technology FT 210 (Firefighter Internship Training Program) class. Enrollment is required.
To start the Firefighter Internship process you will need to visit the Co-op Work Experience & Internship Office located in the Business & Social Science building in BS 106. Phone: (916) 691-7372.
Additionally, you will need to submit an application, cover letter, resume, a copy of unofficial college transcript(s), your fall class schedule and proof of paid registration for Fire Technology 498. The application process and this packet of information does have a deadline date. The application deadline typically takes place during the end of each spring semester. Please contact the Co-op staff for the exact application deadline date/time.
For more complete information about the Firefighter Internship program, please click on the following link: Firefighter Program Internship Manual, which fully describes the Internship program. It explains the benefits of the program, the job of firefighting, mimimum qualifications for the program, the application process, what your work as a firefighter Intern will entail, etc.