The Cultural Competence and Equity Committee will assist with the implementation of policies and the development and implementation of practices that support cultural engagement to assure excellence, effectiveness and equity in teaching, learning, organizational effectiveness and college and community relations.
Areas of responsibility
- Provide leadership for the development and implementation of the Cultural Competence Strategic Plan
- Provide support for the development of sexual harassment and equity training materials and processes.
- Make recommendations that enhance college processes and practices with respect to the systemic inclusion of cultural competence in all aspects of the College.
- Work with the Equity Officer to periodically review the hiring processes with regard to equity, inclusion and the infusion of cultural competence. Identify college/district issues relating to equal opportunity and communicate them to the College President along with solutions.
- Assist with professional development with an emphasis on human relations and other areas that lead to enhanced cultural competence at the College
- Work with the Equity Officer to periodically review and advise on the District's staff equity plan.
- Review and approve funding proposals for cultural events/activities offered on campus that support the goals of the Equity Plan and the Cultural Competence Strategic Plan. The Cultural Competence and Equity committee will also, when appropriate, partner with the event organizing committee to plan and offer activities as part of the event. The Cultural Competence and Equity committee will also review the reports from recipients to assess the effectiveness of the event/activity with respect to the achievement of the stated outcomes. In addition, the executive secretary of the Cultural Competence and Equity committee will provide administrative support with regard to the event.
- Faculty Membership: The committee shall be composed of two faculty from each area/unit.
- Administrative Membership: The committee shall include the Equity Officer plus two other administrators designated by the Management Council in consultation with the College President. The College President shall select the Executive Secretary from the administrative appointees.
- Classified Membership: Three members designated by the Classified Senate, in consultation with the College President
- Student Membership: Three members designated by the Associated Student Government, in consultation with the College President
Reviewed & Updated 2012-13