Financial Aid

California Dream Act

California Dream Act

What is the California Dream Act?

The California Dream Act of 2011 is the result of two assembly bills, AB 130 and AB 131. Together, these bills allow undocumented and documented students who meet certain provisions of AB 540 law (see below) to apply for and receive state-administered financial aid and community college fee waivers.

What are the criteria for AB540?

  1. Attended a CA high school for at least 3 years.
  2. Graduated or attained the equivalent (usually passing the GED or CA HS Proficiency exam.
  3. If you are considered an undocumented resident, you must have filed for legal immigration status or will file as soon as possible. It is a legal requirement that you file an affidavit with CRC Admissions and Records Office.

*If you meet these criteria be sure to see the CRC Admissions and Records Office to file a "CA Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request".

Are all AB540 students undocumented immigrants?

No. Citizens and permanent residents who would otherwise be classified as residents of other states who meet AB540 criteria can qualify as California residents for tuition purposes and any financial aid benefits.

I am considered undocumented and meet the AB540 criteria under the California Dream Act. What financial aid programs can I apply for?

You can qualify for a Fee Waiver (Board of Governor's Grant or BOGG) that will pay for your enrollment fees. There are two ways to apply:

  1. Complete the California Dream Act Application which is available now online at the CA Dream Act web site. CRC will download the information electronically and send you an e-mail with instructions on the next step in the process.
  2. Complete the California College Promise Grant (formerly Board of Governors or BOG Fee Waiver) and submit to the CRC Financial Aid office.

More information and videos regarding the Cal Dream Act can be seen at

Beginning with the 2013-14 school year, you may also qualify for a Cal Grant. Click here to complete California Dream Act Application.

If you are undocumented, at this time you are not eligible for any federal financial aid.

I am a US Citizen or permanent resident and meet the AB 540 criteria. What types of aid can I apply for:

AB540 students who have a Social Security Number and meet the US citizenship requirements can submit a FAFSA and a California College Promise Grant (formerly Board of Governors or BOG Fee Waiver). You must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident. By completing the FAFSA you will be considered for more financial aid programs.

Remember: Documented or undocumented residents must submit a "CA Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request" to CRC Admissions & Records Office.

Where to Find Us

Location: Library Building, L-107 (1st Floor)
Main Office L-107
Mon - Thurs 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri 8:00 am - 4:30 pm

Student Access Center L-125:
Fridays Only
8:00 am - 4:30 pm

Elk Grove Center FAO
Monday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Tuesday 8:30 am - 2:00 pm
Wednesday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Thursday 8:00 am 4:30 pm
Phone: (916) 691-7325
Fax: (916) 691-7651

Financial Aid

Visit the IRS website online in order to request and print either your Tax Return Transcript or Wage and Income Transcript.