Athletic Counseling and Enrichment Services (ACE) are available throughout the academic year on an appointment and drop-in basis. To schedule an appointment with the Athletic Counselor, please call(916) 691-7316 or stop by L200, 2nd floor Library Building.
ACE Program Provides:
- Academic Counseling, in which the student is assisted in establishment, planning and implementation of their immediate and long-range academic goals. All students are required to establish and maintain a Student Educational Plan (SEP) that maps out the coursework necessary to pursue their goals. Students are strongly encouraged to meet with the counselor at least once per semester to revisit and revise the SEP as needed.
- Career Counseling, in which the student and counselor engage in dialogue and activities (i.e. assessments, informal interviews, research, etc.) that are designed to aid students in assessing their aptitudes, abilities, and interests. Reference and resource tools are also available to allow students to explore various majors and careers, including transfer schools and occupational industry information.
- Personal Counseling, in which the student is transitionally assisted with personal, family or other social concerns that may affect their academic progress and overall welfare and well-being. Referral information to community agencies for mental health and social service related assistance is available.
- Athletic Eligibility Education - Students are regularly informed and reminded of community college intercollegiate athletic participation regulations and requirements for eligibility. For those students who are interested in transferring to a 4-year school to continue their athletic careers, they are educated on NCAA and NAIA rules as well. The Athletic Counselor works with each student individually to help them devise an educational plan that not only puts them in position to meet their academic objectives, but that also positions them to be able to meet their immediate and forthcoming athletic eligibility requirements.
- Academic Progress Monitoring - Students are required to obtain and report grade and attendance information via progress reports ("grade checks") three times per semester. That information is then evaluated by the Athletic Counselor and the Student Personnel Assistant and those students who need an intervention are offered suggestions or strategies for how to improve or maintain their success.
- NEW!!! Learning Assistance - This is an experimental service offering in which students will be provided one-on-one support during weekly meetings with the Athletic Counselor and/or Student Personnel Assistant (SPA). During these meetings the counselor or SPA will assist the student in developing basic skills required for college success (i.e. reading, writing, note taking and test-taking strategies, time management/organizational skills, etc.). Students receive "on-the-job training" by learning how to approach, manage, and gain success in the academic courses in which they are currently enrolled through the use of strategies they learn during these sessions. This voluntary service is available to all CRC student-athletes, but is most beneficial for under prepared or under-achieving students.
- Course Planning Session - all incoming student-athletes are strongly encouraged to attend a first semester course planning session with the Athletic Counselor where they receive a brief campus orientation and establish a schedule plan for the first semester. This event typically takes place during the latter part of the Spring term and is for all students who will start their first semester at CRC during the following Fall semester. Any student who misses this event or who is planning to begin their first semester at the start of the Spring term, should contact the Athletic Counselor to make alternative arrangements for course planning.
- Student-Athlete Orientation - All new and continuing students are required to attend our annual orientation in which they learn more about the ACE Program services, campus wide resources, CRC Athletic Department policies and procedures and a host of other topics relevant to students who plan to participate in athletics here at CRC. This mandatory event is held every August during the first week of classes.
- Pre-Registration Meetings - Similar to the course planning session, this event is designed for continuing CRC student-athletes and is aimed to provide information and resources necessary for successful course planning and registration for the upcoming term. These meetings are typically held in a group format by team a couple of weeks prior to the opening of continuing student registration (Priority 0). In addition to pre-registration related information, community college athletic eligibility rules are reviewed.
- NEW!!! Workshops - Topics include time management, organization and life management, use of career and major exploration tools (ASSIST, EUREKA, etc). Let us know if there is an academic, major or career related topic you want to learn more about! Check with the Athletic Counselor or the Student Personnel Assistant for the most current schedule of topics, dates and locations.