Financial Aid

BOG Fee Waiver

BOG Fee Waiver


What is a BOG Fee Waiver?

The Board of Governors (BOG) Fee Waiver is available specifically for students at California community colleges and will waive your per-unit enrollment fee (currently $46).

How to apply:

1. Complete the Online BOG Fee Waiver Application.

2. Complete the FAFSA.

There are four ways to qualify:

1. BOG Fee Waiver Method A (documentation required): You or your family are receiving public assistance from the Aid to Families with Dependent Children, or Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (AFDC/TANF/CalWORKs), or Supplemental Security Income (SSI), or have certification from the California Department of Veterans' Affairs or the National Guard Adjutant General for a Dependent's Fee Waiver, or are a Dependent of or a Recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor, or a Dependent of a Victim of the September 11, 2001 Terrorist Attack. Supporting documentation must be provided for all.

2. BOG Fee Waiver Method B: Meet the following income standards:

2016-2017 BOG FW Income Standards

2017-2018 BOG FW Income Standards

3. BOG Fee Waiver Method C (must have filed a FAFSA application or a California Dream Act Application):

You have applied for financial aid and have been determined to have a unmet need by the Federal Government. A Minimum Unmet Need of 1,104 is required. For more information please come to the Financial Aid Office.

4. BOG Fee Waiver Special Classification Method:

• You have certification from the California Department of Veterans Affairs or,
• You have certification from the National Guard Adjutant General for a dependent's fee waiver or,
• You are a dependent of or a recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor or,
• You are a dependent of a victim of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack or,
• You are a dependent of a deceased law enforcement/fire suppression personnel killed in the line of duty

* Copies of supporting documentation is required

New BOG Information

Beginning 2016-17 academic year, the Board of Governors Fee Waiver will be implementing academic standards. All grades will be used to determine BOG eligibility for 2016-2017.

Any combination of two primary consecutive terms (Fall and Spring) of cumulative GPA below 2.0, and/or cumulative course completion less than 50% may result in loss of fee waiver eligibility.

You'll be notified within 30 days of the end of each term if you are being placed on either Academic (GPA) and/or Progress (Course Completion) probation. Your notification will include the information that a second term of probation will result in loss of fee waiver eligibility. After the second consecutive term of probation, you may lose eligibility for the fee waiver at your next registration opportunity.


If you lose eligibility for the BOG Fee Waiver, there are a few ways that you can have it reinstated:

  • Improve your GPA or Course Completion measures to meet the academic and progress standards
  • Successful appeal regarding extenuating circumstances
  • Not attending college in the district for two consecutive primary terms

The appeals process for extenuating circumstances includes:

  • Verified accidents, illness or other circumstances beyond your control
  • Changes in economic situation
  • Evidence of inability to obtain essential support services
  • Special consideration factors for CalWORKs, EOPS, DSPS and veteran students
  • Disability accommodations not received in a timely manner

Please note that foster youth and former foster youth (age 24 years and younger) are not subject to loss of the BOG Fee Waiver under these regulations.

Appeal Form: Loss of Fee Waiver Eligibility Appeal Form

Important BOG Fee Waiver Facts

  • Waives enrollment fee charges for the entire academic year (Summer 2016, Fall 2016, and Spring 2017)
  • Must be completed every year during registration for the upcoming Summer and/or Fall terms.
  • For California Residents and AB540 Students.
  • It does not require repayment.
  • If you have paid your enrollment fees and now qualify for a BOG, you must complete a Fee Refund Application with the Business Office (Cashier Window) or apply for a refund through your eServices account before the last day of instruction for the semester in which you are requesting a refund.

Where to Find Us

Location: Library Building, L-107 (1st Floor)
Mon - Thurs 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri 8:00 am - 4:30 pm

Student Access Center L125:
Fridays Only
8:00 am - 4:30 pm


Phone: (916) 691-7325
Fax: (916) 691-7651

Financial Aid

Visit the IRS website online in order to request and print either your Tax Return Transcript or Wage and Income Transcript.