The Math Learning Community Program is designed to support students in successfully completing two semesters of sequential math courses, beginning either at Math 30 (Pre-Algebra) or Math 100 (Beginning Algebra). The program begins with the summer 2014 Math Boot Camp and continues through the Fall 2014 - Spring 2015 academic year.
The Math and HCD Learning Community program offers the following:
- Enrollment in desired math courses and textbooks for the math classes (on loan)
- A variety of special events designed to enhance your transition to college
- Help with academic planning, personal counseling, and career development
- Strategies for success in college courses designed to introduce students to college life and expectations
- Supplemental instruction designed to support learning outside of the classroom
- A team of professional, caring, and committed faculty dedicated to supporting the success of Math and HCD Learning Community students
To be eligible for the Math and HCD Learning Community program, you must:
- Students must be eligible to take Math 30 (Pre-algebra) or Math 100 (Beginning Algebra), either through the assessment or having passed the prerequisite course with a C or better. Note: For eligible students, the assessment may be re-taken upon completion of the Math Boot Camp.
- Complete the Math and HCD Learning Community application
- Participants are required to fully participate in all components of the program (as outlined below), beginning in summer 2014 through Spring 2015.
- Orientation - mandatory; for full details and registration, students MUST attend the orientation scheduled for June 3, 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. in WINN 150
- Enrollment in Math 83 (Math Boot Camp) AND HCD 122 during summer 2014
- Enrollment in appropriate math course section (either Math 30 or Math 100)
- Enrollment in HCD 110 in either Fall 2014 or Spring 2015
- Participate in Supplemental Instruction (SI) - small group instruction outside of regular class time