Veterans Services

Where to Find Us

Location: Library Bldg. L-103 (Inside VRC)

Monday-Thursday 8am to 2pm

Phone: (916) 691-7422
Fax: (916) 691-7467

General Guidelines and Processes

General Guidelines and Processes

These guidelines cover some of the areas and topics that are most critical
to keeping your experience trouble-free in regard to the GI Bill while at CRC.
Most of these topics are also covered in the CRC Veterans Information Handbook.

Pay for your classes...or Get Dropped From Them
If you don't pay your enrollment fees, the Los Rios Community College District will drop you. You do
not want this to happen since it will likely be difficult to reenroll in the classes since other students
may have taken your seat.

Students receiving benefits under VA Chapters 30, 35, 1606, and 1607 pay their fees at the
time of registration. "New" GI Bill benefit recipients under Chapter 33 have all or part of their
enrollment fees paid by the VA.  If you are receiving Chapter 33 benefits, you MUST notify the CRC
Veterans Services Office immediately after enrolling in classes. The staff will be able to mark your
account so that you won't be dropped for non-payment while benefits are processed for payment.

Any student should consider the BOG fee waiver which is available to those who meet the eligibility
requirements.  You shouldn't assume that you won't meet the requirements.  Apply for this fee
waiver through the Financial Aid Office.  Once the fee waiver is on your record, your enrollment fees
will be waived.  Remember to reapply for this fee waiver every summer.

Enrollment Verification at End of Semester
Continued enrollment verification for VA education benefits is not automatic each semester.  Students
must submit an Enrollment Status Form to the CRC Veterans Services Office every semester in order to
initiate their their education benefits.  We strongly recommend that students file this form immediately
after enrolling in classes (waitlisted classes cannot be certified).  If you are proactive and take
advantage of your priority registration date, you shouldn't need to worry about waitlisted classes and
delayed certification.  Be sure to include any courses which will be taken at another college (see
Concurrent Enrollment below).

Concurrent Enrollment
Please see your counselor if you are planning to enroll in a course at another college in addition to
courses at CRC.  They can advise you regarding which courses at the other college will meet your
requirements at CRC.  If appropriate, the counselor will authorize the course and complete a
Veterans Services Consortium Request Form.  Be sure to include this with your Enrollment Status Form.
Since CRC is your "parent" or "primary school", the Veterans Services Office staff must send a
"parent school" letter to the other college, giving them approval to certify your class(es). CRC Veterans
Services Office staff will check to see that the course you're wanting to take is on your CRC VA
Educational Program Planner
.  The other college, in turn, will certify that particular enrollment to the VA
and also send a copy of the certification to CRC for your file.  Remember, you must work with
both of the colleges' staff to ensure that the VA receives correct enrollment information and then
pays you accordingly.

Short-term Classes
Veterans and dependents receiving benefits are urged to use caution when enrolling in short-term
classes (1st Eight Week, 3rd Five Week, Other Term, etc.).  Courses are reported to the VA
based on the start and end dates of those classes and this may affect your educational benefits.

For example, you signed up for a total of 12 units for the semester, but 3 of those units don't
start until the second half of the semester (you are taking a second eight week class).  Your pay
for the first half of the semester will be based on 9 units, and then you will be paid based on 12
units for the second part of the semester.  If you are going to take short-term classes, be sure to
check with your counselor and certifying official to avoid surprises.

Courses the VA Will and Will Not Pay For
Required Classes - The VA does NOT pay for recommended classes (courses that you may very
well benefit from, but are not actually needed for your program).  Only classes listed on your
VA Educational Program Planner are used by the VA for pay purposes.  Required classes can
include prerequisite and remedial coursework for which a student has been placed into through
assessment testing. Note: There are two exceptions to this VA policy.  Your first semester may
present an opportunity to enroll in needed and desirable "elective" courses such as computer
literacy, Human and Career Development, and Interdisciplinary Studies. The final semester of your
entitlement may be also be treated differently than the rest.  In the final semester, you are allowed
to "round out" your academic load if there aren't enough required classes remaining to reach full-
time pay status for that last semester. You should use these first and last semesters strategically
based on a discussion with your veterans counselor.  The veterans counselor can advise if such
courses meet your "required" unit needs.

Challenge or Credit by Exam - The VA will NOT pay for any class that is challenged or completed
by examination.  Students may choose to complete requirements this way based on work experience,
foreign language proficiency, or any other process outside the conventional academic setting.
However, the VA requires students to attend classes in order to be eligible for payment.

Online or Distance Education Courses - The VA WILL pay for TV courses, online courses, and
independent study classes if such classes are required.  Payment for these classes will cover
only the period the class is in session.

Repeated classes and Incomplete Grades - You may repeat a course and receive VA payment for
it if you received an F, NP, or W grade on the original attempt.  The VA will not pay for repeats of
D or better grades unless the course is required for the major and/or must be passed with a certain
grade level to progress to another required class (if it is a prerequisite).  In this case, the VA will
pay for the repeat.  The VA does not pay for Incomplete grades, unless the Incomplete is changed
to an F grade.  Such a grade change involves working with the professor who assigned the F grade.
You should discuss this matter with your professor, your veterans counselor, and the certifying
official to ensure you're making the best decision based on your circumstances.

Monthly Self-Verification of Attendance
Chapter 30, 1606, and 1607 students must, on the last day of the month, verify their enrollment
with the VA for the month just completed before the VA will make payment. Remember, failure to
self-verify will result in non-payment.  The student has two methods to self-verify: 1) Online at (go to WAVE link); or 2) By phone at 1-877-823-2378.  This Interactive Voice
Response (IVR) phone system allows students to self-verify if there are no changes to the enrollment
during the month just completed.  If there were changes to the enrollment, the student should not
use the automated verification but instead speak with a
CRC VA certifying official.

Chapter 31, 33, and 35 students do not have a self-certification requirement.

Attendance and Changes to Enrollment
If you don't attend class, you are not entitled to benefits.  If you stop attending a class you must
officially drop the class through eServices or in person at Admissions and Records. You must then
report the drop to the Veterans Services Office immediately.  Conversely, you must also report any
adding of courses in order to be properly paid.  Remember, be proactive regarding your benefits
and report any changes.

Overpayment occurs when the VA pays a student for more units than they're actually enrolled in.
This can occur even when the student immediately notifies the Veterans Services Office staff of
changes.  These changes in enrollment must, first, be reported to the VA, and then, second,
processed by the VA.  This results in a delay before the VA has a proper pay status for a student. 
When there is an overpayment, the VA will require repayment of the overpaid benefits. Since the
overpayment is a debt to the U.S. Government, do not ignore any correspondence from the VA
regarding the overpayment.

CRC Veterans Services Office staff routinely monitor enrollments.  However, you are able to take
an active part in proper payment of your benefits by immediately reporting drops and adds to
minimize or eliminate underpayments or overpayments.

Monitoring of F grades (and F grades based on non-attendance)
Only in the infrequent, worst, of cases do F grades result from misconduct (disruptive behavior) or
academic dishonesty (cheating, collusion in cheating, plagiarism).  Most F grades, however, are a
result of non-attendance, not completing mandatory work, or simply trying one's best and not
mastering the course material.  Since the VA pays students based on attendance, the Veterans
Services Office is required by the VA to monitor F grades.

Each semester notifications will be sent to VA students receiving F grades asking for the reasons for the
grades. The students are required to state if they received the F due to unsatisfactory work or due to
non-attendance.  If a student ceased attending, he or she must indicate the specific date the
attendance stopped.  Students must return these "F Grade Letters" to the CRC Veterans Services Office
within the timeframe specified in the letter or an overpayment situation can, and probably will, result.
If you find yourself in this situation and have questions/concerns, it is best to sit down with a certifying
official and discuss the situation with him or her.  Don't ignore the letter.

Minimum Academic and Progress Requirements and Dismissal
All CRC students must maintain satisfactory progress toward their educational goals.  This is
also a VA requirement.  Students will be dismissed for failing to maintain an overall gpa of 2.0 for
three consecutive terms (Academic Dismissal).  Students will also be dismissed for failing to complete
or withdraw from, overall, a minimum of 50% of their classes for three consecutive terms
(Progress Dismissal).  CRC is required to report dismissal status to the VA and benefits may be
impacted.  If you are dismissed, you must meet with a counselor and submit a Petition for Readmission
after Dismissal
form to Admissions and Records. Readmission is not automatic, but earned through
demonstration of some mitigating circumstance or positive actions on the part of the dismissed student.
See the college catalog for more information about Probation and Dismissal.

Post-9/11 GI Bill Tips and Reminders
*Remember that the Post-9/11 GI Bill housing and books/supplies stipends are paid "in arrears".  This
means that your housing stipend for August, for example, won't be received until September.  Also,
if you're starting school for the semester, your first payment may not be for a full month because the
VA only pays from the actual day you start the class.
*Tuition and fees payments go directly to the school.
*Be sure to inform the VA if you need to change direct deposit information.

Declaring Round-Out
Round-Out is a VA education benefit option that allows for a student who has a limited number of
courses remaining in his/her program to add non-required courses and be paid up to the full time rate.
Round-out may only be used in the final semester of attendance.  It may be used once at the 2-year
college level and one last time at the 4-year level.  Speak to the college's certifying official or a
veterans counselor for more information about this option.